Tuesday, June 4, 2013

365 Days of Happy - Day 155

I recently became obsessed with Lapham's Quartely. It's an online magazine of history and ideas, and sort of reminds me of a mix between TED Talks, Thought Catalog, and Fast Company.

'Lapham's Quarterly embodies the belief that history if the root of all education, scientific and literary as well as political and economic. Each issue addresses a topic of current interest and concern--War, Religion, Money, Medicine, Nature, Crime--by bringing up to the microphone of the present the advice and counsel of the past. Valuable observations of the human character and predicament don't become obsolete.'

'The texts are drawn from authors on the order of Shakespeare, Aristotle, Tolstoy, Twain, Woolf, Dickens, Gandhi, Balzac, Austen, and Thoreau. The connection of the then with the now is augmented with the further evidence found in letters, speeches, diaries and photographs, in confessions voluntary and coerces, in five-act plays and three-part songs.'

I feel smarter when I read something from this website, which may be why I like it so much.

I stumbled upon this chart and thought I would expand on this and post my favorite paintings.


This one is Jackson Pollock's Number 5, which I've actually never seen before until today. Pretty cool! I'd hang that up in my house.


I'm a HUGE fan of Claude Monet's work. Impressionism is my favorite type of art movement, and here are a few of my favorite pieces of art by Claude Monet.





No comments:

Post a Comment