Sunday, March 10, 2013

365 Days of Happy - Day 69

This weekend, Delta Zeta held our Chapter Retreat! We have Chapter Retreat every semester. It's held after new women get bids and before big sis reveal. It gives us all a chance to get to know each other better, connect on a deeper sisterly level, strengthen our sisterhood, and find women you would like to be your little or big sister.

On Saturday night, we did a lot of fun activities in the University Center Ballroom. The first activity we did was that we wrote down a secret about ourselves, then gave them to the spokesperson of our group. They had to figure out which secret belonged to who. Want to know my two secrets?

I'm Native American.

I used to have the back of my neck pierced.



Surprise surprise! My mother's ancestors were Native American, Choctaw and Cherokee. I only became interested in my Native American ancestry a few years ago. I would love to explore more about my history, where we originated from and what is unique to my tribe.

And yes, I used to have the back of my neck pierced. Trust me, it's not as gross as it sounds. (I actually think it's really sexy!I got it done last January, went to Ireland with it, and took it out four months later. It liked it, but it was hard to take care of and my hair would always get stuck in it. Want to know another secret? My parents don't know about it. I'm such a rebel, I know.

ANYWAY. After that activity, we did some more fun activities and then passed around this thing called the Loving Cup. I don't think the Loving Cup is a secret. Not many Greek rituals are secrets anymore, thanks to the Internet. Which is unfortunate.

'The Delta Zeta Adelaide Loving Cup is a silver trophy given to a college chapter which has shown great improvement during the past two years. The recipient should be a chapter 'on the rise', one that has shown tremendous gains in membership, campus prestige, activities, spirit or cooperation to make them merit recognition.'

One thing we do with our Loving Cup is that we sit in a large circle and then pass it to someone in the chapter who we look up to, admire, think deserves recognition, or want to thank. There were so many people I wanted to hand the Loving Cup to, and since I only got a chance to hand it to one person, here is where I want to recognize my sisters. I don't expect anyone to read this... but I hope one day the people listed below will. This is where the 'diaries' in Hermit Diaries comes into play.

To Dani Johnson, the woman I passed the Loving Cup to: Dani, I see so much potential in you and I know you are going to do great things for this chapter. I've been in this sorority for four years and I know a leader when I see one. You are a leader and I hope you take a position soon. Plus, your hair is gorgeous and you are the only person I know who can pull off bangs.

To Allison Duch: Allison, you are the sweetest person I know. I love seeing you in the UC and I love that you always ask if I want to sit with you! You remind me a lot of myself when I was your age. I'm so happy you're head guard. You are doing such a great job with your position!

To Dana Belcolore: Dana, I had so much fun playing Apples to Apples with you at the Alpha Sigma Phi social last week. You are so awkwardly funny and I am so awkwardly funny too! You have a great sense of humor and I would love to get to know you better.

To Kelly Richards: Kelly, I'm so happy you and I are getting closer this year. I think you are an amazing, hilarious woman and I'm glad you transferred back to UW-W! You will do great things with your t-shirt position :)

To Claire Armetta: Claire, you remind me so much of myself when I was your age, especially because you are writing for the Royal Purple. You're such a good journalist! I always get so excited when I see your name in the paper. I wish we would have known each other in high school!

To Brittney Lumb: Brittney, you handed the loving cup to me, and I was so surprised and honored. I think you are so precious and one of the most beautiful women I've ever met. I'm glad we talked for the first time at the recruitment event last week!

To Britt Van Asbach: Britt, you are one of the nicest, most genuine people I know. I love seeing you in the UC and I think it's really cool that you work for the Center for Global Education. I really hope to get to know you better. The world needs more people like you.

To Megan Skupien: Megan, I'm SO glad you're Parliamentarian. I think you're doing a great job at your position and recognize lots of ritual-type things that need to be enforced. I also love our conversations on Twitter. Whenever you retweet my tweets I feel so loved! I think you and I are a lot alike.

To Lauren Schilling: Lauren, I'm so glad we got to know each other better at Leah's birthday party on Saturday night! And the fact that you loved playing with Simba made me like you so much more. You can come over and play with him any time! Also, you're a beast at figuring out Black Stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment