Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Song of the Day - Covers

Remember when the song Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People came out a few years ago and it was suddenly everyone was listening to it? And it got so annoying because it was so popular? Have you ever really listened to the lyrics?

According to Wikipedia (oh come on, it is totally a reliable news source. Don't deny that you don't use it to look something up really quick), 'the lyrics to Pumped Up Kicks are written from the perspective of a troubled and delusional youth with homicidal thoughts. The lines in the chorus warn potential victims to 'outrun my gun' and that they 'better run, better run, faster than my bullet'. 

Foster said in a statement to CNN.com, 'I wrote Pumped Up Kicks when I began to read about the growing trend in teenage mental illness. I wanted to understand the psychology behind it because it was foreign to me. It was terrifying how mental illness among youth had skyrocketed in the last decade.'

In writing the song, Foster wanted to 'get inside the head of an isolated, psychotic kid' and 'bring awareness' to the issue of gun violence amongst youth. 'I like to write about real-life topics, and I like to write about different walks of life. For me, that song was really an observation about something that's happening in the youth culture these days. I guess I wanted to reveal that internal dialogue of a kid who doesn't have anywhere to turn, and I think the song has kind of done its job.'

You've all heard the original. Kick back and enjoy this version.


Cris Cab - Pumped Up Kicks



No comments:

Post a Comment